The idea of building a proprietary Photogrammetry Rig was driven primarily by our need for high-quality character production, speeding up creation of graphic assets and increasing complexity of photorealistic textures and physical materials.
The Photogrammetry Rig at Bohemia Interactive is capable of capturing both live and static objects and can be configured for smaller live objects such as character heads or larger static objects.
We also have high-quality equipment for shooting outside of the studio (outdoors or indoors), to cover very large objects or anything that can’t be brought to our studio (e.g. trees, rocks or antiques).
How it works
Photogrammetry is a method of reproducing photorealistic 3D objects from a series of photos. Typically, tens to hundreds of photos are needed for a precise reconstruction of an object, depending on its complexity and size.
Importantly, the object should not move at all while taking the photos, which can’t be achieved with live subjects, such as people. There is a solution, though: you need to take all the photos at the same time – so you need as many cameras as photos that you want to take simultaneously and fire them all at the very same time along with studio flashes. Such set of photos is then processed by specialized software and tools, resulting in a photorealistic 3D model.
The Rig core consists of:
- 40x Canon 1300D camera
- 40x Canon 50 mm F1.8 lens
- 5x Fomei Digitalis Pro S600 AC studio lights
- Software-controlled rotating platform
- Custom Control Hub
- Powerful PC stations for data collection and processing
- Face scans (up to 12M polys per face)
- Full body scan (figurine)
- Static object scan (including external shooting)
- Our setup is based in our modern offices in Brno
- Friendly English speaking operators and artists
- It’s capable of taking up to three shots a second
- All data is processed immediately after recording
- Very fast processing of Raw data
- We use these facilities ourselves and try hard to get the most out of them
- Also, the operators are not limited to the Photogrammetry data only, we can help with mixing various technologies together resulting in surprisingly advantageous combinations. Let us talk to your special effects architect to see what we can do for you.
- Of course, unlimited Wi-Fi access for clients is available
- And very reasonable pricing. Exceptional price/value ratio